Summer in Springfield means lake excursions, hiking trips and one of the area’s most beloved sources of entertainment: Tent Theatre. Since the 1960s, Missouri State University’s annual Tent Theatre productions have featured some of the best theatrical talent from Missouri State’s program and beyond.
This year, we’re thrilled to partner with Missouri State for a second round of Tent Theatre Picnics, a way for theatre-goers to start their evening with a light, tasty picnic from Bambinos catering in Springfield Missouri. Read on for more information on this year’s productions and how you can enjoy a Tent Theatre picnic of your own.
How It Works
We’ve partnered with Missouri State University and Tent Theatre to design three themed menus to coincide with each Tent Theatre production. Prior to each show, Tent Theatre guests are invited to enjoy the picnics on the south patio of Craig Hall from 7-7:45 p.m.
All of the picnics are $12.50 per person, and a portion of the proceeds supports the Tent Theatre Scholarship Fund. Orders must be placed at least 24 hours in advance, but it’s easy to order online or call 417-836-7678. Don’t have time to stick around for the show? No worries: You don’t have to purchase show tickets to participate in the picnic.
Last year’s Tent Theatre picnics were a hit, and we’re sure that our second round of menus will be fan favorites. All Tent Theatre picnics are served with ice cold Coke products and an after dinner mint. Your picnic purchase also includes an autographed souvenir playbill.
Grease (June 12–15, 17-22)
Talk about summer lovin’! We all know the story of this classic musical, showcasing the hilarious, hellacious and heartwarming confusion that ensues after a carefree summer fling takes an unexpected turn. Our “Grease”-inspired menu is tasty enough for Greasers and prepsters alike to enjoy:
- Entree: Tartine of egg salad, country style ham and capers
- Belgian-style open faced sandwich served on toasted sourdough topped with mixed greens, egg salad, country style ham and capers
- Side: Stuffed pickled peppers with Balsamic glaze
- Sweet and spicy peppadew peppers stuffed with garlic herb cream cheese and drizzled with Balsamic glaze
- Side: Seasonal melon melange
- Ripe and refreshing assortment of summer melons
The Mousetrap (June 27–July 3)
It may be hot outside, but “The Moustrap” will transport you to the chilly corridors of Monkswell Manor, where intrigue awaits. Agatha Christie’s classic murder mystery will have your head spinning – and so will our tasty picnic menu:
- Entree: Summer ratatouille pasta salad
- Roasted vegetable salad featuring squash, red peppers, zucchini and eggplant tossed with whole grain pasta
- Side: Artisanal cheese and summer sausage
- Locally-sourced meat and cheese charcuterie
- Side: Harvest seed bread
- Hearty homemade wheat bread with hummus
Catch Me If You Can (July 10–13, 15–20)
An imposter leads the FBI on a merry chase in “Catch Me If You Can: The Musical.” Our old-school Italian menu is inspired by this globetrotting romp:
- Entree: Roasted airline chicken salad on field greens
- Oven-roasted chicken breast in a coconut curry dressing served with roasted chicken drumette
- Side: Heirloom cherry tomato Caprese salad
- Colorful blend of cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, fresh basil and extra-virgin olive oil
- Side: Focaccia
- Soft Italian yeast bread topped with olive oil and fresh herbs
We’re heading into the second weekend of Tent Theatre performances, and we couldn’t be more excited to partner with this local celebration of the arts. Purchase your Tent Theatre tickets online – and don’t forget to add a picnic to your order. What better way to enjoy a summer evening in the Ozarks?